Booting into Safe Mode
What is Safe Mode?
Safe mode is a way of booting your Mac that cleans up and repairs issues that arise during start up. When you enter Safe Mode, you will notice that your computer takes much longer to complete the start up process. That is because the computer is performing a directory check of your startup disk.
How do I enter Safe Mode?
- Power Down the machine. This can be done through the Apple Menu or by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.
- Locate the left Shift key on your keyboard.
- Power the machine on while holding down the left shift key.
- Continue holding the shift key until the Apple Logo appears. The words “Safe Boot” will appear in the top right.
- When you restart your machine it will automatically leave Safe Mode.